Sunday, July 19, 2015

Ford Sucks

Yes, that's right, Ford sucks!  And here is why.

I have a 2011 Escape, and I just passed a full four years of driving it.  I currently have about 39,000 miles on it.  And, I also have three areas of rust on the body.  That's right, 3 areas of rust.  One spot is above the rear wheel, and another is on the roof.  The final spot is inside the rear hatch.  Now I understand that there isn't much that can be done when the paint chips, exposing the bare metal, which is what looks like happened on the roof and above the wheel.  A stone must have flow up and hit the roof, and in the wheel well, which ended up chipping the paint, over the winter, because those spots were not there last fall.  But the rear hatch is rusting under the paint all along the bottom of the door/hatch.  That just seems to me to be ridiculous for a four year old car.

I looked up my warranty and didn't see anything specific about a length of time that the body is warrantied for, then I notice something about 5 year unlimited miles.  So I figure I am set, it must be covered.  Not so fast.  I took the car in to the Ford dealer and explain that the body is starting to rust and the service guy comes to take a look.  He then informs me that Ford's warranty is 3 year, 36,000 miles on the body for rust thru, and 5 years for something else.  I didn't really listen after he said that basically the rust wouldn't be covered.  

So even though I have never had a problem engine-wise, or anything mechanical with my Escape (or the Tempo that I had years before) other than the normal wear and tear, I can truthfully say that this is the last time I am going to be buying a Ford.  There is no excuse for having the body rusting after four years with no exterior damage to the surface.  And since I have sworn off of GM after the Government Motors (what GM really stands for) take over a few years ago.  That leaves me with foreign cars.  And after this incident with Ford, I have no problem not buying American anymore.

0 comments: