Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sprung A Leak

Last week I noticed a few oil spots on the driveway where Sarah parks her car at night.  The first thing I thought was that someone messed something up when they changed the oil a couple of weeks ago.  I crawler underneath and looked around and it looked like there was oil dripping from the oil filter.  My first thought was that when the guy changed it he cut the gasket on the filter or something like that.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get the cover for the filter housing off, so I thought I better take it in and have a mechanic look at it.  

The guys who have been working on Sarah's car are really nice, and fair with their prices, so I called them up and they said, yeah, bring it in.  After looking around under the hood, and then looking underneath while it was up on the lift they think they spotted the problem.  The oil cap was not sealing tight, so when the engine was running, there was oil slowing leaking out of the opening and dripping down the engine.  They recommended getting a new oil cap, since it should only run a few bucks and trying that first.  If it was still leaking after that, they could look at it a little more closely.  

This weekend I went and got some engine degreaser and sprayed the engine down so I could start with a clean slate, and see if I could confirm that was where the oil was coming from.  After about five minutes a clean train of oil could be seen coming from under the oil cap, so I think that is probably the problem, and should be fixed on Monday when I go get the new cap. 

0 comments: