Thursday, January 15, 2009

Long Hours

I have been putting in long hours at work lately trying to get caught up in some deficient areas. Because of some high profile errors with some important customers of OUR biggest customer, we have been held to task to make some serious improvements to our quality systems. The upper management here is now beginning to wake up to the fact that it isn’t 1979 anymore (and not just in terms of clothes and hair styles). Since I took over as the QA manager almost 4 years ago, I have been saying how we needed to do some different things in order to prevent nonconforming product from going out the door. But I was told that wasn’t a priority, or it wasn’t important because we have been doing this for 25 years without any problems. Everyone here was focused on how much money it would cost, and since it wasn’t considered “value added” work, why do we need to do it? I guess they are finding out now why.

So now I am being tasked with fixing everything over the course of the next 3-4 weeks, and I actually have some things due at the end of this week. God I hate the people I work for, but I have to at least be thankful that I have a job right now and I am going to do what I can to keep it.

0 comments: