Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snow Days

Today (the 15th) and presumably tomorrow, the girls had off of school. It wasn’t a planned day off, rather it was a snow day. Well not exactly a snow day, school was canceled because it was too cold outside. However, the teachers were still at school today, and as I spoke with the secretary today regarding some PTA stuff, there will at least be some people at school tomorrow as well. I don’t know if the teachers will be required to report to school, but I know the doors will be open.

So the question becomes this… Why was school canceled? The last time I checked, I think that we still heat the school buildings. It isn’t as if they will be having class in a room that is -5°. The children aren’t let outside for recess, and I would think that the older kids (Jr. high and HS students) have sense enough to know how cold it is outside. I find it absolutely ridiculous that class has to be canceled because it is “too cold”. When Sarah came home yesterday she apparently told Kris that they were being told that they were looking out for the children. What would happen if the bus broke down in this cold? The kids would be put in danger because of the cold. My response to that would be that the bus company should have better buses.

The kicker is that after I got home, Kris had the 6:00 news on and they showed a mom and a bunch of kids enjoying a day at the Country Springs Hotel (Indoor Water Park). When asked why they came out today they said because they were tired of staying inside and wanted to get out. Yeah, you can't get out and go to school, but you can drag your kids out in the cold to go to a hotel/water park. Yet this is the first person who cries when school is kept open on a day like today.

So now the school year will end up being extended until June 12th, but I will guarantee that nothing will get done on those make up days!

0 comments: