Sunday, December 5, 2010

First Snow

We had our first snow of the year yesterday morning and as happens every year, people completely forget how to drive once the white stuff start falling. It isn't like it was a full scale blizzard, or that it came down quickly. We ended up with about 3 inches total over the course of about 10 hours. But yet there were tons of accidents.

I went into work early Saturday morning when there was only about an inch and a half on the ground and I saw one car in a ditch. Then, when I was driving home, I had to stop by the grocery store, so I was going over highway 45 north at Good Hope, and the cops had the on ramps closed. I found out this morning that the reason was that there were two 18-wheelers jack-knifed. Pretty bad I guess if you need to shut down the highway, and I guess it was shut down for about 5 hours.

Myself, I had two close calls. One woman was driving about 10-15 mph under the speed limit, and mind you this was with the snow clear and the road salted. I guess all that melted snow can be pretty dangerous. And then someone else almost hit me sliding through a stop sign. It would have helped had she not been on her cell phone at the time, but I guess no harm no foul.

0 comments: