Sunday, June 19, 2011

Faucet

I decided to tackle the outside faucet sooner than later. The fix I had with the flexible line while functional, was not ideal. The faucet moved around and the water flow wasn't great, I assume because I had to neck down from a ½" pipe with the flexible line. To add to it, I couldn't tighten things as much as they needed to be, so I had a little bit of a drip happening

To start with, I couldn't get the existing pipe out because of the elbow. It was too large to fit through the hole in the wall. And the faucet may as well have been welded on, because it wasn't moving. I ended up have to get out a hack saw and cut it in two in order to get it out.

I needed to measure the length of pipe, add in the distance to the valve, and run to Home Depot to look for a replacement. I got a standard 48" length, allowing for a little error. Well it turns out I didn't need to figure in a error factor. So after buying the pipe, bringing it home and installing it, the faucet stuck out about 6" from the side of the house. I had to take everything back apart, and go back to Home Depot to see if they could cut it to the exact length. Luckily they did, and threaded the nipple too.

So when I finally got back home, I was able to line everything up, screw it in and tighten it down, fill all the gaps with expandable foam filler, and we are now good to go. Total time for the project was about 5-6 hours. It is a good thing that Home Depot is so close by (only a 5 minute drive to get there). If I had to drive farther than that, it would have been a total hassle and added all kinds of time to fixing it. And who knows if I would have been able get it done in a day.

0 comments: