Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nanny State

It is now official. Ali brought home a note today stating that their will be new guidelines, excuse me, RULE for sending snacks to school next year. The school board has set forth an “approved” snack list, which means that we will need to send only the “approved” snack to school with Ali next year. I have a major problem with this. While I agree that eating habits of children suck, and that it is a good idea to send healthy snacks to school with your children, I have a problem with the school board telling me what that thing is. What is next? Will they send me an approved list of meals for dinner? Maybe they will tell me next when I have to put my child to bed, or what they need to do in their spare time.

It is utterly ridiculous for the School Board to waste their time mandating an approved snack list when the district itself is one of the worst in the state. How about concerning yourselves with keeping my taxes low and upping the standards in education in the district. And what are they going to do if I send a Ho-Ho to school with Alison? Are they going to send her home for having contraband? Or are they going to fine me? The snacks we send now are packs of peanut butter crackers or cheese crackers. Her teacher told her that they aren’t “healthy snacks”. So I assume that means that she won’t be able to have those next year. Who would have thought that just plain cheese & crackers would be contraband? And what about lunch? They have their “healthy lunches” (and breakfast for that matter) but if Alison doesn’t like the french fried cheese sticks, or whatever they are serving that day, will they examine her lunch to make sure it meets their standards?

I’ll be writing the board voicing my disapproval with this program and hopefully there will be other parents who will join me.

0 comments: