Sunday, August 25, 2013

Driving Practice

I spent about a half an hour today in a parking lot with Sarah letting her get the feel of driving my car. My thought being that when she gets her learner's permit, it'll be February and it is better for her to get the hang of driving when it is warm and dry than when there is snow and ice on the roads. I thin she has it easy too, because I had to learn on a manual transmission. After today, I shudder to think about what it would be like if she had to work a clutch.

I had her practice just driving in circles, up and down the rows. It was very jerky at first. They taught her in drivers ed to keep both hands on the wheel at all times, so she was trying to keep both hands on the wheel as she turned, which is pretty much impossible.  So we had to go over how to go hand over hand and then back as the wheel turns. 

By the end our lesson, she was getting better at it. The next thing that we have to work on is keeping it in her own lane when she makes turns.  But I think that after a few more times in a deserted parking lot and she has the feel of the gas pedal and how to brake properly she'll have no problem turning into her own lane. I am going to try and give her some practice every couple of days so that by the time she gets her temps she'll know what she is doing.

0 comments: