Monday, December 23, 2013

Power's Out

After I got home from work tonight, Kris and I had to run a couple of errand, including going to check on her dad, clean his apartment, etc.  While we were there, I got a call from Sarah saying that the power had gone out.  She was in the process of getting ready with her friend from next door to go bowling.  Not having power put an end to that.  Our side of the street was out, and across the street all the lights were on.

We ended up calling the electric company to report it and I was told that people had just started calling in so they didn't have anything to tell me as far as why and how our power went out, but said they would estimate the power to be back on by 8:30 PM (I called at 7:00).  So we drove home to wait.  The thing is that is was 2° outside and without power, the furnace doesn't work, so the temperature started dropping.

I debated last summer what it would cost to get a generator that would kick on when the power went out but thought that the cost would be excessive for the number of times we would need it in a year.  But Kris pointed out to me that we lose our power at least a couple of times a year, whether during a thunderstorm, or something like this.  A few years ago we lost our power early in the winter during due to a very heavy wet snow.  It was out for more than 12 hours.  At that time, at least, Kris could take the girls over to her parents' house.  But we can't do that anymore.  So I may end up rethinking this.

The power came on just before 10:00 PM, so it was off for almost 3 and a half hours and the house got down to 62° (I think - it was 62° the last time I checked it which was about 10 minutes before the power came back on), and it started at 68°.  So at least we didn't need survival blankets to sleep.  Let's hope it stays on now.

0 comments: