Monday, April 7, 2014

Window Warranty

Since we finally had some nice, sunny weather (albeit a little cool) I took the opportunity to clean the windows.  They were absolutely filthy.  Actually, I don't mind doing it, and I would do it every day if I could.  Unfortunately it takes to long.  But I like having the windows clean enough that you look out them and can't tell if there is glass there or not.

But I did run into a problem when cleaning the large, picture windows in the front of the house.  The window in the den looked particularly dirty when I was cleaning the inside.  At first I thought that it was just mud and dirt that had blown onto the window during the most recent bout of bad weather.  However, when I went outside to clean the exterior of the window, I discovered that what I thought was dirt was in actuality the tinting (presumably a film) on the inside of the window coming off.  It wasn't just a spot or two either, it was huge areas that were spotted.  It looked much like something dripped on the window and was running down the inside of the glass.  Needless to say I was not happy.

This is in addition to Sarah's bedroom window on the north side of the house.  Over the winter, I noticed frost on it, which I originally thought was on the outside, but it was between the panes of glass.  So I think that means that the seal between the glass is compromised. 

All of this means I need to get on the phone with the window company and get them to give me two new windows.  Kris pulled out the folder for me and they are warrantied for the life of the window as long as we are in the house.  I remember the problems we had with the front window when we first put them in twelve years ago, so I need to get on this now so that we can maybe get them fixed by the 4th of July.

0 comments: