Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Poor Birdies

Yesterday I said to Kris that I hadn't seen the robin in the nest all day.  It was in there in the morning when I took Sarah to school, but after that I hadn't seen it.  I told Alison and Kris that I hoped nothing happened to it, like it got eaten by a cat, or something like that.  Then Alison asked me why (she hadn't been there when I told Kris I hadn't seen it all day).  I told her and then she said that she saw what looked like pieces of the egg shell in the driveway.  I said, "What?!" and she said yeah, and took me outside to show me. 

There in the driveway were two broken, and mashed, robin eggs.  That would explain why I hadn't seen the mother robin for so long.  So now we don't have any birds to watch, well other than the ones that keep coming to the bird feeders.  I don't know how the eggs made it out of the nest.  I looked up what other kinds of birds might raid nests and steal eggs, and all I could find were blue jays and crows.  I haven't seen any of those lurking around, so I am at a loss.  I don't know how many times robins lay eggs each year, but if it isn't coming back, then I suppose it is time to take the nest down.  Poor little birdies.

0 comments: