Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trigger Finger is Back

Back in December of 2012, I ended up getting a cortisone shot (I think it was cortisone) in my right thumb to correct a trigger finger.  It took about a week to clear up, and I thought that was it.  Unfortunately, it slowly started coming back around the end of February.  Then by the beginning of April it was really bothering me to the point where is was swollen and I had lost the range of movement in it.  

I was reading about what causes it and what the remedy should be shot of getting another shot, because our deductibles are rather pricey (though still less than if we had registered for Obamacare).  So rather than go pay a few hundred bucks, I am trying to get rid of it "naturally".  I found something that said if you could keep it immobile, that in about two weeks, the problem would correct itself.  So I went out and spent $15 on a wrist brace with a thumb split, and a couple of bucks on a finger splint.  I figured it was much cheaper than the couple hundred it would cost to have a doctor give me a shot.  And it it doesn't work, well I'm only out a few dollars, so why not give it a try.

The problem is that I need to keep the thumb splinted for a couple of weeks straight.  And with everything that I am doing, that just isn't happening.  I just was not able to get the bathroom put back together with a splint on my thumb.  And writing is just as bad.  You really don't realize just how much you use your thumb until you can't.  Even turning the ignition key in the car is difficult with a splint.

So now I am no better off than before, but I am not giving up yet.  I do need to figure out how to keep this immobile for a few days though.  because if I don't I am afraid that surgery is going to be required.

0 comments: