Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Homecoming Week


This week is homecoming week in the Falls, so that means special, theme days at school all week. The middle school does the same thing as the high school so both Alison and Sarah will be dressing up this week.  Today, Alison has to dress like a boy. I forget what they are calling it but she I wearing basketball shorts, a football shirt, knee high athletic socks, etc.  I actually forgot to look an see what Sarah was wearing.

This year since Sarah is a junior she is going to be taking part in the annual Powder Puff football game.  It is a "flag" football game between the junior girls and senior girls and it is apparently a big deal.  From what I have heard about it, it is more like full-contact flag football.  

She has actually been practicing a couple of nights a week to the last two weeks.  Tonight she came home in tears because she is getting her butt kicked.  Initially she told me that she was playing middle linebacker but I found out that she is really playing nose tackle.  The girl she is going up against in practice I rather large and as at least 100 pounds on Sarah (though probably more like 150).  The girl is pretty much assaulting Sarah (and any other girls who get in her way) so she (Sarah) is getting really upset.  In fact, after practice tonight, one of the girls on defense went home with a black eye.  I can truthfully say that I would not be happy if my daughter came home with a shiner, especially during homecoming week.

It was also pretty rainy so Sarah was slipping and sliding all over on the wet grass with her tennis shoes.  When she told me about it I decided we needed to take a trip to the shoe store to get her some cleats.  It took a little bit of running around to find a pair that 1) weren't $80, 2) fit, and 3) were a decent color (meaning no neon colors).  It is a little late in the year to look for/buy cleats so there wasn't much of a selection, especially in girls' shoes.  But at least now she has a pair and since her feet have stopped growing she can keep them for a while.  Hopefully this will allow her to dig in a little bit and keep her from being pushed around so much.

0 comments: