Saturday, January 17, 2015

Cell Phones

So get this...  I had to upgrade Sarah's phone.  She was due to have her phone upgraded and actually had cracked her screen in July so she has been limping along since then.  But it was totally falling apart.  Her camera wasn't working, there was an issue with her charging jack...  it was a mess.  So I told her it was time to get her a new phone, and Best Buy had a 64GB iPhone 6 for $300.  I figured with the insurance, etc. it would be about $600, which is what I had usually done in the past, just paid for it all up front, and been done with it.  I should add at this point that AT&T is my cell service and I had the "4 lines for $140" deal that they offered about a year ago.  I was totally happy with it for the most part.  We never go over the shared data limit (10GB) or the minutes (I think it is 750/month).  So the sales person starts giving me the AT&T next pitch....  I figure, no, I want to just pay for it all up front since I always do.  Then she says that I can do that, but if I do, I lose my $25 monthly discount that I get with the "4 for 140" deal.  And the AT&T Next price for the phone is $25/month, so it's a wash and either way I am going to end up paying an extra $25/month.  I was like, WHAT???!!!

So I went the AT&T Next plan route, but I am totally not happy.  All of us could stand to have our phones upgraded, but if I do, then I lose my discounts per line???!!!  That is absolutely ridiculous!  I wonder if the Best Buy sales person was just giving me a line about losing the discount?  I only go there because it is much easier to deal with the sales people there than at the AT&T store (plus I think they actually have a bigger/better selection).  Either way though, I am not happy!  Kris has a 4S that is almost 3 years old, and Alison has a 4S that is about a year and half old, both of which have issues with the top button turning off, so they need to be replaced, but I also don't want the bill to jump by another $25 per phone.  

Cell phone companies suck!  I think it may be time to start shopping around for a new carrier/plan.

0 comments: