Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Cougar In The Falls

Yes, that is right, we have had a cougar sighting here in the Falls. Actually, I believe it was WAY out on the fringes of the village. For the last month or so there have been reports popping up about a cougar in the area being spotted on trailcams. There was even a report on the news showing someone’s doorbell cam with the big cat walking right up on the stoop and looking in the front window of a home in Brookfield. The news report listed a name, so I checked the whitepages online and if that name was correct, the cougar was right in the heart of Brookfield, just off of Capitol Drive.

The DNR has been sort of blowing it off I think. By the time they actually release a statement confirming the sighting, it has been at least a week. I have heard some other “expert” on TV say it is irresponsible for authorities not to be treating this as a very serious situation, like having a serial killer stalking the area. I think that it is probably somewhere in between. I think it is a sign of a healthy ecosystem that we have a big cat roaming about, and since I am not outside at nighttime, I don’t have to worry much, but it is something to be watchful of. Maybe one night while I am driving Ali around to her cheer or tumbling practice, we’ll see it roaming around an empty farmer’s field.

0 comments: