Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our First Day

The first day of school for Kris and I was quite different. Since I took off as I always do to see the girls off to school, I thought I would take the opportunity to have my front tires replaced on my car. They had become quite bald and there was "shake" on the steering wheel, so I assumed they had gone out of balance. As we were walking into school to drop Alison off I got a call from the auto place. It was a little more than the tires being out of balance. Aside from the tires needing to be replaced, both tie rods were loose and one needed to be replaced. Next, the brakes were all worn and I needed a whole front and rear brake job. The rear shocks were beginning to leak and the struts while not needing to be done at that exact moment, would need to be done in the near future. So what started out as what was originally planned as about a $170 job turned into a $2200 overhaul. I had been thinking it was about time to look for a new car, but now after spending this much, I am going get my money's worth.

Kris's mother also had surgery scheduled on Wednesday. She was having an carotid artery unblocked. It was apparently 99% blocked on her right side. So Kris had to be up at 3:30 to get her mom to the hospital. She came home in time to help get Alison ready for school. Once we dropped her off, we went to the hospital to wait to talk to the surgeon after the procedure was complete. Once we talked to him and found out everything went well, we ran back home to get Sarah ready for school. After that it was back to the hospital to find out what room Kris's mom was moved into. We went there to see her for a bit. Oh yeah, we also had a list of people to call and let know how the procedure went, so Kris spent closer to 30-45 minutes reporting to everyone on the outcome of the procedure.

Then we had to run back home to be there when Sarah got home and find out how her first day went. Then about a half an hour later we had to go back to Shady Lane to pick up Alison from her first day. Looks like it was a good thing I took off.

0 comments: