Saturday, February 19, 2011

Car Accident

I got into a little bit of a scrape with my car today. I was on my way home with the girls and one of Sarah's friends. I was stuck at a 2-way stop waiting for traffic to clear enough for me to cross Appleton Ave. and there was a car on my right blocking my view from that direction. There was a van turning right coming from my left, but the problem was that the van was big enough to obscure an SUV that was just behind and to the left of the van. So as I was looking left, I didn't see it, I looked right and had an opening in the traffic, so I pulled out fast, and as I did I looked back to the left and there was this SUV. I slammed on the breaks and waited. I thought for sure I was going to get just smashed. Luckily I stopped just short enough to prevent a collision. Unfortunately, the car the was going west on Appleton swerved and as it did, the front tire pushed out (so to speak) just enough to catch the front of my bumper, hooking my license plate holder, ripping it off and tearing a chunk out of the bumper cover. The good thing though is that no one was hurt, either in my car, or in the other car.

I called a cop to file a report, never actually having to do it before (which isn't too bad considering I have been driving for 25 years). I got the other driver's information, though since there was no damage to her car at all, I told her I would just take care of it. the cop yelled at me for not making her stay. Sorry. He determined that the accident was my fault, but that based on the damage to my car and the fact that the other car wasn't damaged at all, I wouldn't be getting a citation. LUCKY ME!

So now I need to go get an estimate on the repair and get it scheduled to get fixed.

0 comments: