Sunday, May 1, 2011

More Car Trouble

We got Kris's car back from the body shop on Thursday. We'll have to see how long it lasts this time. But I had it scheduled to get the rear tires replaced on Saturday. They were worn from when we had to have the alignment done on it back in December (or was it November?). Anyway, there had been a squeaking noise coming from the rear of the car when we were just driving along, so I asked them to just do a quick inspection of the rear brakes as they were changing the tires.

So I get a call Saturday morning right after I get home from work to tell me that there is a little problem with the rear brakes. Apparently, one of the sets of pads was stuck in the caliper so that it wasn't releasing fully when you took your foot off the brake. This is wear the squeak was coming from. It had also caused premature wear of the rotors. So they could have refaced the rotor so it was drivable, or they could put all new ones on. The difference? About $100. So I just went with the new ones. Then I also had them flush the brake fluid because when they checked it it apparently showed that it was contaminated. I don't know if that is something they just tell you to justify flushing and replacing, or if it was legit. But I had them do it anyway. Apparently the recommended maintenance schedule says it is supposed to be done every two years anyway. I know that I haven't had it done since we bought it, so at the very least it was plausible.

It always seems like it is something. I take it in for one thing and end up fixing three or four.

0 comments: