Sunday, May 1, 2011

Yardwork

Luckily, we had a window of opportunity over the weekend to do some work outside. I was finally able to rake the back lawn. It just doesn't feel like spring until I get all that dead, matted grass cleared out. Well that and some temperatures above 50°. It took about 5 hours Saturday, but I got it done.

While I was doing the raking, I noticed quite a bit of creeping charlie getting right up to the lot line (and even a little bit getting into my grass). Last year I didn't do any fertilizing, so I made sure to get some weed and feed this year. As soon as the raking was done, the fertilizer went down. Hopefully that will help. I also decided to finally try out something I had seen years ago that supposedly takes care of creeping charlie... a water/borax mixture. I looked up the recipe and actually found a gardening website that said the best time to kill it was in the spring when it was pulling in nutrients to start growing. So I mixed some up, cleaned out my sprayer, then went to town. Hopefully it won't kill the grass. The info I found said it wouldn't as long as I didn't go to crazy and over-apply it. Now we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I wonder if I could get in trouble for spraying into the neighbor's grass.

Kris and I were planning on finishing the fence along the back lot line this year too, but with how wet the lawn is, I don't know when that will happen. When I had someone come out last year and take a look (or was it two years ago) he told me he would probably wait until at least June to do it so he wasn't pouring concrete into a puddle. I'll have to do a little research into that.

0 comments: