Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Healthy As a Horse

About a month ago I had my annual check up and as usual, everything came back pretty good.  The only issue I had was my thumb.  The joint was locking up on me, and was actually slightly painful to move. My doctor looked at it and said, yep, you have a trigger thumb.  Now I have heard of a trigger finger, but never a trigger thumb. 

I put up with it for a little while, but two weeks ago I finally decided to call the orthopedist to take a look at it.  My doctor told me that he would probably just give me a cortisone injection, but if it was bad enough, they might do some surgery on it.  So today I went to have the doctor look at it.  After the initial check and moving it around he confirmed that it was indeed trigger thumb.  Luckily, he thought all it needed was a cortisone shot.  My prognosis is good.  He said there is a 75%  chance that this will take care of it.  If not, he can give it another shot, in which case there would be a 50% chance it fixes it.  If that doesn't do it, then he would need to do a little surgery on it, but that is something that would be taken care of in the office. 

It's still a little swollen from the injection, and as I am typing this it is still numb from freezing it for the actual cortisone shot.  IN a week or so I'll know if it takes.  I figure it can't be any worse.

0 comments: