Friday, April 12, 2013

The Start of Driver's Ed

This week began the three weeks of driver's ed for Sarah.  So far from what I can gather, her instruction is going to consist of watching some power point presentations and videos of what happens when you drink and drive, or text and drive.  While that is important, I wonder when they will start teaching them the rules of the road.  Important things, like how to navigate those stupid roundabouts, or who has the right of way at a four way stop, or at an uncontrolled intersection.  I take it back, she did say they told her class that she should have her hands at 9 and 3 (or 8 and 4).  So I guess that's something.

At the end of her class she'll take her test for her learner's permit.  Then 10 days before she hits 15½, we are supposed to call the driving school and they'll issue her permit.  I already told Sarah that as soon as she turns 15 I'll start having her practice backing the car in and out of of the driveway, and maybe even take her to a deserted parking lot and do some practice driving.  She's already saying she's going to freak out when it comes time to take her driver's test.  I told her that she just needs to have a look around the DMV and see the people that they give driver's licenses to.  The little old grandma's who can barely see over the dashboard get driver's licenses, so I am sure she'll be just fine.  Plus, she has plenty of time to practice.

0 comments: