Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Christmas Prep

On Sunday I had to run to the hardware store to look for a replacement fuel line for the large snowblower (that's another story all together).   While I was there I took a walk through the Christmas section.  The reason being that I was thinking I need to replace the lights on my Christmas tree.  With the number of lights that I put on, the room gets heated to the point where the furnace won't go on, and then the rest of the house is freezing.  

Last year I was looking at LED lights instead of the mini incandescent lights, and a string of 100 was something like $20 a string.  I think I figured it would have been about $500 to replace all the lights on the tree, which is quite ridiculous.  Well the price hasn't come down all the much.  I think I might wait a couple of weeks and see if they go on sale at all.  A string of 100 regular lights was $2.50.  So is it worth paying almost 10 times more in the long run?  I suppose they won't ever burn out, so replacement costs won't be anything, but I just don't know if I can justify spending that much on lights for the tree.  Maybe if we rearrange the room, I can put it in front of the window and away from the thermostat and that will solve the problem without having to break the bank for new lights.

0 comments: