Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Status Report

Well I have been at my new job for a little over a week so far and I am enjoying things so far.  I am on a "training program" that was set up to help me learn the whole plastic extrusion process from start to finish.  I started out working the first week in the quality department so that I could see the types of issues that the company faces on a daily basis.  I think it is helpful since these are the sorts of problems I am going to be looking at eliminating.  I was also able to see some of the paperwork that they are required to complete.  I have to say that after ten years, it is refreshing to see a formal process for doing things from the time raw material comes in the door until it leaves as a finished product.  And I couldn't be happier to finally work with other engineers again who know how engineering work is supposed to go.  It makes me think that I was stupid for waiting for so long to move on from my previous job.

This week I have been working in "blending", which is actually mixing the specific plastic that will be extruded.  It is very interesting.  It starts out as a powder, and actually looks like a fine sand before being put into an extruder for pelletizing, which is the form the plastic takes before going into the extruders for final forming.

Tomorrow is my last day doing blending (I think) and I don't know what the next area in my rotation will be.  But so far I think I made the right choice and I am enjoying learning all about plastics.

0 comments: