Saturday, September 20, 2014

Windows

I finally got the replacement window situation straightened out.  When I was cleaning the windows this spring I had noticed spots between the panes where it looked as if the vapor seal had failed, and since they were warrantied for life I had called to have them replaced.  I had called in June to get them on order and the window company told me they would be sent to the Home Depot where we bought them, and I would be getting a call when they were in.  So around the end of July I got a message that my window was ready to be picked up. I called Home Depot to set up a time for it to be delivered and installed.  It was then that I found out that Home Depot didn't cover the installation of the new pane of glass.

After speaking to a manager, I found out that while the windows had a lifetime warranty it was only the window, not the installation.  So now I had approximately a 5' square picture window that I 1) couldn't get home, and 2) didn't have the expertise on how to install.  So I had to figure out what to do about that one, but I figured I could at least get the double hung for Sarah's room home and figure out how to get that one installed.  The manager then said, what double hung?  He only had one window there for me, the picture window.  I then explained that I had called to get a replacement for the double hung in Sarah's room that also had the vapor seal fail.  He looked it up and told me that one was never ordered.  PERFECT!  

He also informed me that the picture window he had was a solid pane of glass.  I told him, uh, no, there are supposed to be grates in it, but he said, nope, it was a clear window.  So not only did the window company not get Sarah's replacement ordered, they sent the wrong picture window.  He looked up our original order from 12 years ago said he would take care of getting the one he had returned and make sure the right ones were ordered. 

So about a month later I get a call saying the new windows are in and ready to be picked up.  In the mean time I had to call around and find someone to install it for me.  The HD manager said any glass company should be able to do it, just call and say I had a window that needed glazing, and they should be able to take care of it.  After calling around the cheapest quote was in the $400 range, which I thought was high, but it was all I had to go with.  Kris sent me a link to a handyman network site and we ended up finding someone who would take the old one out and put the new one in for about half of what the other places were quoting us (the picture window that is).  So we got it all scheduled.  Home Depot dropped it off and the handyman guys showed up and took care of business.  So far everything looks great.  

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the old one.  The landfill will allow me to dump it for a couple of bucks since I am a Falls resident, but I don't have a way to get it there.  Their website says window glass is not recyclable, but it is allowed to just be thrown in the trash and picked up.  The question is how to do that.  As the handymen were taking the old window out, they cracked it, so I think I should be able to get it apart and just throw the chunks of glass in the regular garbage.  I just have to figure out to to do that exactly.

Finally, I have to get the double hung window installed.  The window company didn't send a whole window, just the lower sash.  They said it is an easy thing to do to just take the old one out and slip the new one in.  The person I spoke to said that he would send me the instructions via email and if I had any questions I could call and he'd talk me through it.  The problem is that I never got the instructions.  I need to call and have the guy resend them (if he ever sent them in the first place) because I want to get it done before the snow starts falling.  But at any rate, it looks like we're almost done with the window problem. so that's one less thing I need to do.

0 comments: