Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Driving to St. Louis

As I am in St. Louis all this week I thought I would give a review of the drive here.  It was actually pretty uneventful.  There were only a couple of "incidents" that popped up on the way.  The first was a speed trap.

The speed limit most of the way was 70 mph.  Being as I had Wisconsin plates in Illinois, I really didn't want to exceed the speed limit too much.  So I pretty much kept it around 73-74 tops.  There were a couple of times where I sped up to get around slower traffic in an attempt to not get boxed in for a bit, but other than that I kept it pretty close to the posted limit.  And as the roads were dry and traffic light it was a very smooth drive.

Then about halfway here, an older model Porsche, maybe a 928, went breezing by me doing at least 80.  then about a mile up I saw a car parked on an overpass.  It was obviously a cop taking radar.  As soon as I got under the overpass, I saw a police car speeding down the on ramp.  It got on the highway and pulled behind the Porsche and then lit the lights.  HAHAHAHA!  There were two other cops with people pulled over, so it was a good thing that I kept my speed low.

The second thing was an 18-wheeler that had a blowout.  The tire tread was laid all the way across the right lane (or about 80% of it).  I suppose it would have been a problem had I actually run it over.  Luckily there was one car between me and the tire and I was able to see it swerve far enough in advance to change lanes.  So once again I got lucky that I wasn't following the car in front of me that closely.  Had I been closer, I may not have had time to change lanes, and I am going to assume hitting a tire tread that was laying on its side in the middle of the road could have possibly caused a little bit of damage to the underside of the Escape.

Hopefully the drive home will go just as smooth, but without any close calls.

0 comments: