Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Rough Winter for Shrubs

While I was busy raking the lawn I happened to notice a couple of shrubs that I planted late last year were not in such great shape.  Kris got them from one of her cancer patients as a "thank you" for helping out her husband.  They own a greenhouse/nursery so as a gift, she gave us a couple of small honey berry plants.  It was late in the year and we really didn't have much of a place to plant them, so after some discussion, we decided to put them in the corner of the backyard with the intention of making a small "garden patch" there with a little birm, maybe a birdbath and feeder, in the spring.  But when I was raking, I noticed that they had been chewed down over the winter, probably by a rabbit, or maybe a deer.  

I wasn't sure that they'd live, but the last time I was back there I noticed new leaves sprouting, even from the stubs that were just poking out of the ground.  So hopefully I'll be able to nurture them back.

That brings me to the barberry bushes in the front.  a couple were half dead from last year, and I wasn't sure that they'd make it through the winter.  But they did.  Now I just need to see what sort of new growth starts this spring.  I can already see some new shoots coming off the main stems of the shrub.  So I am hopeful that they can come back.  I really don't want to have to dig them up and try to replace them.  At least it wasn't as bad a winter as last year.  I think if it had been as cold as the year before they'd definitely be dead right now.  As it warms up, I will really need to start doing some fertilizing, and pruning to get them to perk up.

0 comments: