Sunday, January 3, 2016

Broke The Grill

The recent snow storm we had left us with a little problem, a broken grill.  How did this happen you might ask.  Well there was about 8-10 inches of heavy, wet snow on top of the lid.  I had stopped putting covers on the grill a couple of years ago, because they always ended up ripping and having to be thrown out, so for the cost of them I figured I was just going to forget it and take my chances.  For what I had spent on covers over the years, I think I could have probably bought a new grill.

So anyway, since I was clearing the snow off of the patio, I thought I would get the snow off of the grill as well.  But instead of just brushing it off, I thought, I'll just open the lid and and the snow will just slide off behind the grill.  I ran into a problem though.  The temperature had dropped and now, instead of a wet snow, it had frozen to the grill lid.  So when I lifted it up and let it go to have the snow slide off, it didn't.  Instead there was about an extra 20 pounds (or more) of material on the lid and thus ended up breaking the cast iron around the hinge.  Ooops.

So now I have to sit and wait for the weather to get better so that I can try and fix it.  I don't want to have to buy a new grill, and I should be able to fix it, maybe with some JB Weld?  But I will definitely be working at fixing it as soon as I can.  I feel stupid for not just brushing the snow off in the first place.

0 comments: