Friday, November 25, 2016

No Tree This Year

There is not going to be a Hahn Family Christmas Tree this year. Once we decided that we would be going to Florida to see my parents for Christmas, Kris pointed out that we shouldn’t bring it up from the basement, unpack all the ornaments and lights, and set everything up if we weren’t going to be here to enjoy it. And she was right. It is a lot of work, to set up the tree. It takes me two full days to get everything up and decorated. Plus, with the cats, we are constantly shooing them away from the tree. They chase each other around it, and Samson will try to chew on the strings of lights, or swat at some of the low hanging ornaments that ate sparkly and catch his eye. It is a constant battle to make sure they leave the tree alone when we are home, I can’t imagine what would happen if we weren’t here for a week. They would have it toppled over, or worse.

I did bring up a few things, like the girls’ nutcrackers, and some of Kris’s snowmen decorations, but it just doesn’t feel like Christmas around here without the tree. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have a tree up in our house. Even when I was in college, I had a tree. I think it would have been 1990 or 1991 when I was living in a flat by UWM that we didn’t have a Christmas tree. I know we can’t really have it up, but it still makes me sad not having it.

0 comments: