Sunday, December 4, 2016

Travel Day

Today was travel day for my trip to Mexico.  I was leaving relatively early (a little after 9:00 AM) Sunday morning.  The total flight time was supposed to be 4 hours, which is a little more than I would like, but what are you going to do?  I was hoping that the flight might not be that crowed and I would have room to sort of sprawl out, but unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.  It was almost a full flight, so that meant I had someone sitting next to me.  Overall the flight wasn’t bad, though it was a little cramped and by the end I was glad to be able to get up and stretch my legs.

One bad thing was that the flight was right during the Packer game, and I wasn’t about to pay for wifi on the plane, so by the time we landed, there was only about 2 minutes left in the first half.  While waiting to pick up the rental car, the coworker I was traveling with googled Packer bars in Phoenix.  As it turns out, there was one about 15 minutes from the airport (a big shout out to Casey Jones Grill).  So once we got the car, we high-tailed it to the bar to catch the end of the game and grab something to eat.
                       
I wasn’t sure what to expect, but as soon as we got to the parking lot I could see people with Packer gear walking in and out of the door.  Once inside, it was like being back in the Valley.  And right as we were seated, GB scored a touchdown, which prompted train whistles to blow...(get it?  Casey Jones the engineer?  Clever.) And there were trains rolling on tracks/bridges suspended from the ceiling.  It was actually pretty cool.  And they were singing some goofy polka type song.  I was really sort of hoping they would be singing the GB Packer fight song (yes, we have a fight song. Go learn it if you don’t know it so we can bring it back).  They scored again and I decided to see about actually recording the celebration.  Nice, right?  Then at the two minute morning the volume got turned down, and they started playing some silly song that sounded like Da Yoopers (but I don’t think it was) that was again, polka style, and must have been titled “Da Bears Still Suck”.  Very interesting to say the least.  But it least I felt at home cheering for the Green and Gold.

Then when we finally got to the resort that we were staying at I found out there was no reservation for me, even though I had a confirmation message and a confirmation number.  Somehow, someone canceled my reservation.  Luckily, there was still an open room, so they just gave me that one, for the same period of time, and the same corporate rate. Crisis averted, but I needed to call the company travel agency and find out what the heck happened.  So... a tiring day of travel, but I am looking forward to going over the border Monday to meet our Mexican counterparts.

0 comments: