Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Disney Crowds – Never Again

As I had mentioned earlier, the crowds at Disney were insane. I thought that perhaps we would be lucky and it wouldn’t be as bad as what I thought they might be because of the holiday. But apparently Disney is the place to go when it is an officially sanctioned (school) vacation. One other thing that I forget is that Disney World really is a worldwide destination. We saw people from all over the world there. Forget about Euro-Disney, or Disney-Japan, or China (I think there is one in China, right?). Florida is the place to go!


We saw on the news that the theme parks around Orlando had all reached capacity on Christmas Day (Universal, Sea World, and Disney) and today was no different. Apparently by 3:00 (from what we heard walking around) They had stopped admitting people into the Magic Kingdom (who knows, it could have even been earlier). I didn’t think the crowds would bother us much because we had been there many times before and were in no hurry to get on any particular attraction. I was wrong. The crowds drove me (and Kris) nuts. And I have to say that there were certain “groups” of people that were much ruder than others. In particular the Indians. After thinking about it, they must not care because they are used to living and moving around in crowds in Calcutta and New Delhi, etc. But they have got to be the rudest people in the world! As we were waiting in line at the Pirates ride, there was a group of about 20-25 Indian people behind us. Before you get up to the turnstiles where they position you to get into the boats, they have large, roped paths zig-zagging around (as everyone knows). And I assume they are as wide as they are as to accommodate the greatest number of persons so that the line doesn’t wrap halfway around the park. However, you would think everyone would be able to see around them (meaning who is in front, and who might be behind) as far as the numbers in your group, or party. I guess they don’t care about that in India, because these people just pushed their way in between Kris and myself and the girls. In fact, at one point, I there were at least five of these Indian people (I say India, but they could have been from any of the countries in the sub-continent area) between me and Kris. When it came to one turn in the queue, I ducked under the rope to get back with Kris and the girls. It was absolutely ridiculous. And the people behind us had were pushing their kids (who appeared to be in the 5-7 year old range) to keep them moving and possibly improve their position in line. NEWS FLASH!!!! The ride isn’t going anywhere! And it isn’t as if you are going to get on the ride any faster. You might make it a boat or two faster. BIG DEAL!!!! It was amazing how inconsiderate they were.

Then as we were waiting for the girls on the magic carpet ride we noticed a group of people that were letting their children climb over the fences, and play in areas that at least I would have considered off limits. It was around the Enchanted Tiki Room. There was a pond/pool in front of some rocks and the outside wall of the building. Apparently in their country, there is no problem with just letting your children go climbing and exploring areas that are separated from normal foot traffic for a reason. Again, very rude and inconsiderate. But people have problems with Americans. If I had cared more, I might have said something, but Kris and I sat quietly and just observed. It really is amazing the things you see when you “people watch” at theme parks, or other large congregations of people (fairs, festivals, etc.). It is actually one of the things I like to do when I go to those types of places.

But now that I know what things are like during these times of the year, I think I will avoid them in the future. Plus, I think it may be time to go to some of the other theme parks we have never been to before, like Busch Gardens in Tampa, or Universal Studios, or even make a return to Sea World instead of always going to Disney.

0 comments: