Thursday, December 8, 2016

Cold and Dark in the Desert

I remember learning in grade school, or maybe it was junior high, that the desert is subject to huge temperature swings.  I can now confirm that fact.  The first day that I crossed to Mexico for work, the temperature at the warehouse on the US side was 26°F.  I think that was actually colder than it was in Menomonee Falls that morning.  But then by the afternoon, the temp had gotten up to about 62°F.  

It was also dark.  We had to get up and leave just before 6:00 AM, and it was still pitch dark out.  And there was practically no light at all.  There were actually path lights at the resort, but I think it would have been easier to see had there been no lights at all.  I can't remember the last time I saw the stars so bright.  You have to get way out of Milwaukee for the stars to be as bright as they were last week.  Not having all the light pollution from a large metro area sure makes a difference.  If I had the good camera with me, I may have tried to take a few nighttime photos to get the movement of the stars.  Maybe next time.


0 comments: