Sunday, January 12, 2014

Burnin' Down The House

In contrast to the -10° high we had on Monday, Friday we had a temperature of around 36°.  About an hour before I left work, Kris sent me a message that there was a house on our street that was on fire.  Sarah and her friend went down to see and she said there were flames coming out of the upstairs windows and through the roof.  I had to take a different way home because the fire trucks had the end of the street blocked off.  

For anyone who knows where we live, the house is, or rather was, next to the path into the park one block down from us.  I drove down a little later when I was out just to see what it looked like (yes, I'm a gawker).  It was about two hours after I got home and the fire dept. still had the street blocked off but I could see the house from the end of the cross street because they had huge spot lights on the house.  It looked like all the flames were out and there were a few firemen standing in front of the house and looked like they were talking to someone.

The next day Kris and I were running to the grocery store for her dad and we drove down past the house to see what things looked like in the daylight, and it wasn't good.  I wonder if they'll try and salvage the house or not.  It looked like the entire second floor was burned out.  There was no roof on the back of the house and there was a crew there already boarding up all the windows and putting a big tarp over the top of the house to cover the huge hole in the back.  I can't remember ever seeing anyone outside that house when we would drive or walk by, but I would suspect it was old people just based on the mix of people in our neighborhood.  Sarah said that when she was down there she saw an ambulance leaving.  Hopefully they weren't hauling a corpse.

0 comments: