Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Computer Updates

I heard last week that Microsoft was going to finally retire Windows XP.  That just happens to be the system that is running on Kris's desktop, which tells you how old it is.  I think it is 7 or maybe 8 years old, and probably needs to be updated, but Kris doesn't like change (as should be evident by her still using Windows XP).  We had been having some issues with the computer for a while after some update, or clean-up of unused files.  The dialog windows were enlarged much more than normal, sometimes not being able to even read the messages.  I had tried many different things to correct it, but never had any luck, so I figured, it didn't happen very often so I would just deal with it.

Since Microsoft is pulling the plug on Windows XP, I figured this would be a good time to finally try updating the operating system on her computer.  So I went with a clean install of Windows Vista (now we are only two operating systems behind).  I would have used Windows 7 but they didn't send me an operating system disk when I bought my last laptop, so I used the one from the previous laptop.

I spent about two hours on Sunday reviewing and transferring files from her hard drive that she wanted saved (work files, music libraries, etc.) and then put the new system on.  The system itself only took about two hours to install, but then I had to go and start installing software again.  After MS Office was put back on, I had to reload all of Kris's email folders and calendar, etc.  Unfortunately, I did something wrong when I transferred them and for some reason I couldn't find her email and calendar for Outlook.  I thought I had archived the whole thing, but it only had about half of the messages and no calendar events.  Kris was not happy.  I finally went to bed around 11:00 Sunday night with things only about half moved.

Luckily, the next day I found where everything was, email and calendar both (oh, and all of her contacts).  So now I think I have just about everything back to normal.  I still need to install the wireless printer and transfer some bookmarks in her browser, but I'll do that tomorrow since that won't take any time at all to complete.  

Thanks BIll Gates for making such a stellar operating system (please note that was sarcasm).  I really think I am going to go Apple with my next computer purchase, because I really don't want to go through that fiasco again.  At least now I can get back to trying to update the look of my blog.

0 comments: