Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hacked!

I was sitting at home, enjoying the day today when I got an email from Best Buy.  The topic was "Your account has been updated".  I hadn't done anything with it, so I checked to see if Kris had done anything, and she said no.  So the next step was to log in to my account and see what the email was all about.

To my surprise, I (or someone) had ordered an iPad and anti-virus software, and also had added a credit card to my account, a MasterCard.  The address on the card was someplace in California, but the phone number listed was mine, and obviously the email address was mine or I wouldn't have received the message about adding a credit card to my account.


The first thing I did was get on the phone to call Best Buy to see if this order could be cancelled.  Well it couldn't, though the woman on the other end of the line was very helpful.  She sent the report over to their fraud division and was able to at least credit my Best Buy account, though I don't know what that means since my Best Buy account wasn't billed, it was a MasterCard.  But I was at least instructed in how to go about registering a fraud complaint with the major credit reporting agencies and to flag my accounts.  So now I am waiting for my credit report to see if there actually are any fraudulent credit cards floating around in my name, or if it was a mistake with the order from Best Buy.  

The funny thing is that if I order anything from Best Buy, I usually get an email saying that my order has been received.  I never got one.  What I did get however, was about 250-300 spam emails in the next 12 hours, which forced me to change my email address.  So my first thought is that somehow my account was hacked into somehow.  Hopefully the credit report won't show any abnormalities.

0 comments: