Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Power Is Back On

Hey!  Our power is back on finally, and it only took 26 and a half hours.  From the news reports I was able to hear on the radio, there were 120,000 homes that had the power knocked out from the storm that rolled through here on Monday.  I don't know how many times I ended up calling the electric company only to get a recording and no answers.  All I wanted to get was an update of when they thought the power would be back.  I drove around the neighborhood and it seems like it is only a two square block area.  The people across the street have power, two blocks eat they have power, and two blocks down they have power.  So I guess that since it is such a small area we are last on the list of places to get fixed.

At about 1:00 or so, Kris got through and the recording said a crew had been dispatched to investigate our situation.  But I don't believe it, and here is why.  We finally saw a service crew in the neighborhood around 6:30 PM.  Then we saw a couple of guys walking through backyards looking at the lines shortly afterward.  We got in the car and took a drive to see if we could see what they were doing, and the crew was a block over with a cherry picker, looking like they were about to go up.  We decided to drive around town to see if there were any other areas that were without power.  When we got back around 7:45 PM, the power was back on.  So the repair took about an hour, but we had to wait 26 hours to get it done.  If the repair was only an hour fix, then they should have done it when they first inspected it at 1:00 (allegedly).  When I got the call from the electric company they said the outage was caused by trees, and affected 105 homes. 

So overall, it cost us a bunch of food in the refrigerator and freezerand the inconvenience of not having TV, internet, etc.  I was able to at least charge the cell phones in the car, but it took forever.  Now I think I will start pricing a portable generator, so I can get one that I want and will run the things I need it to without being forced to go look for one the next time we lose power.

0 comments: