Saturday, September 3, 2016

Moving Day

Today was moving day for Sarah.  After a long day of packing and figuring what to bring (and what not to bring) we headed off to LaCrosse.  The trip went pretty smooth actually.  It took just over 3 hours to get there since I had to stop for gas.  Towing the trailer took me from normally getting 27 mpg to 17 mpg.  I think I might have been able to just make it, but I didn’t want to chance it and stopped about 10 miles out of Lacrosse to get gas.  We had a 9:20 – 9:40 arrival time, and we got to campus at 9:22 AM.  Not to shabby!

The move in process was very smooth.  Sarah got out and got checked in and got her room key while Kris, Alison, and I unloaded her stuff.  There were very helpful kids there to help haul everything up to her room too, which I appreciated.  With their help, it only took about 5 trips to get everything upstairs.  Then it was time to unpack and arrange the room.  That took a little longer.  We had to turn the bed around, which we couldn’t just simply doo because her room isn’t big enough to just rotate it.  We had to take it off the loft base, turn it around, then put it back together.  It really was a pain.  And of course there is absolutely no storage space, so getting all her bins and drawers organized was quite a chore.

Then I decided I would return the trailer to U-Haul while Kris helped Sarah organize.  The place I wanted to return the trailer was about a mile up the road from campus (a local gas and service station).  Unfortunately, when I got there, there were more U-Haul trucks and trailers there than the lot could hold, and they had to direct me to the next closest place, which was about five miles in the opposite direction.  I guess with college move-ins, they get a lot of one way hauling.  Though now that I think about it, I bet I could have just told U-Haul I was using it locally, and returned home with an empty trailer for less than half of the price of taking it up to LaCrosse from the Falls.  At least once I got to the U-Haul dispatcher it was only about a 2-3 minute process to get it turned in and disconnected.  Bravo to the U-Haul guys in LaCrosse!

By the time I got back to campus, Sarah wasn’t even halfway done with organizing and unpacking.  I think she just took way too much stuff.  Hopefully this will be a live and learn moment for coming home and moving back next year. 

We were just finishing up when her roommate arrived (also named Sarah).  So we got to meet her, and her brother and sister who helped her move in.  We didn’t stick around much longer.  Sarah had activities with her dorm planned, and we had to go run and get a couple of things that we (Sarah) had forgotten to bring.  We met her back at her room for a little bit but she had a welcome picnic dinner/cookout to go to and we needed to get going home.  It was about 5:30 by the time we left and Sarah had to go take the freshman class picture (she's down there somewhere).  

Sarah seemed OK, though she was having a little bit of a freak out when we left.  And Alison was also very sad to have to leave her sister.  But I am hopeful that we won’t be getting calls in the next week or so crying about how Sarah wants to come home, and I am sure Ali will get used to not having Sarah around once school gets into swing.

So we are now officially minus one child in the house.  I don’t know what we’re going to do.