Monday, October 26, 2009

Sunday Was a Long Day

Sunday was a LONG day. I started out playing with the girls while Kris was working. We hadn't played the Wii in a while so we played a few rounds of Mario Kart. Then once we got going, I had a few tasks to get done. First, I wanted to get our light up pumpkins going.

We have (2) wire frame pumpkins that are strung with orange lights. One of them wasn't working, or rather was only half working. I took the frame apart and started checking lights. This is the bad thing about having these kinds of decorations. If these were Christmas lights, I's simply toiss them and then go spend $3.50 and get a new string. With the pumpkin, you need to have orange lights first of all, and second, they are attached to the wire frame, so you can't just get new lights. Well I started replacing lights with my spare Christmas ones. First I went along pulling lights and replacing them, one at a time. If it didn't work, the original light went back in and I moved to the next one. After going through the whole sting, I decided to pull all the lights and replace them all with white, just to see if the lights would work, and then i would go back and put the orange ones back in.

After spending an hour and a half, NONE of the lights worked. I replaced about 70 lights with ones from a white, Christmas string, but they still wouldn't light. So at 1:30 I gave up. I guess I'll be looking for something else to put in front of the house with the jack-o-lanterns.

Speaking of jack-o-lanterns, that was what we did from 1:30 until about 6:30. Scooping out pumpkin guts and figuring out what kind of faces we would be carving. I had to get two extra pumpkins, because the two we bought the week before were starting to rot. I carved them all (6 total) but if the (2) rotten ones don't make it to Halloween, we still have (4) good ones. The last of the bunch are soaking right now and when I take them out I'll put alight in them and take some pictures to post. I did Jack Skellington for mine this year, and I'm sort of jazzed to see what he'll actually look like with a light inside. I have to say this is one of my favorite things to do with the girls. So check back in a day or two for pictures of this year's pumpkins.

0 comments: