Monday, October 12, 2009

Wasted Weekend

I spent the weekend trying to fix Kris's computer. Man what a time suck that was. For a while now Kris had been complaining about how slow her computer was running. I kept running virus scans and malware scans and nothing ever came up. Finally, her computer locked up on her completely on Thursday, and I had had enough. I decided it was time to wipe out the hard drive and start from scratch. So Friday night I was up 'til 11:30 transferring files off of her hard drive and reinstalled Windows. I was getting tired and couldn't locate the CD to install my wireless card so I just went to bed.

Well Saturday I reinstalling things when I forgot the cardinal rule, check what you are installing and disconnect from the internet when you are doing it. I picked up a virus/malware from one of the CDs I had (damn torrents!). Well after trying for 45 minutes to remove it and having no luck, I just wiped everything out again. I wasn' that far into reinstalling so I didn't lose much, only about 3 hours of my time.

This time I did it right, located the CD with the virus and tossed it. So now I am transferring files back. She still has a few files on Sarah's computer in the basement, but the majority of everything is back on her computer and running good (so far). I may have a few settings to correct yet, but I think I'm in good shape, and it only took the better part of a day! It's a good thing the Packers had a bye, although I should have been out cutting down plants and rakign leaves instead of sitting in front of the computer!

0 comments: