Saturday, February 13, 2016

Finally Giving In

For the past couple of years, Kris has tried to save a couple of her favorite plants (which are hibiscuses... I hope I spelled that right) over the winter.  Not having a greenhouse, and after an attempt at a grow light in the basement, we settled on keeping them in the bedroom in front of the vent to keep them warm, and to allow them to get some light (unfortunately, I don't think the basement was warm enough).  And for the past couple of years Kris actually did a good job and managed to save them for the next year.  This year was a little different though.

Every year when we would bring them in, I would switch out the dirt cleaning the roots and replanting them in some fresh soil.Also, in addition I would spray them with some insecticide to make sure we didn't bring in any unwanted pests.  Well this year, we had a little problem.  This year, we had a problem with what I thought were aphids toward the end of the summer.  I tried to get rid of them by spraying them with soapy water, but apparently I didn't do a good enough job.  Except they weren't aphids.  After a little research, Kris figured out they were white flies.  and they were all over the plants in the flower beds on the side of the house as well as many of her potted plants, including the hibiscuses.  I thought I got them all when I replanted them to bring them on for the winter, but apparently not.

At first it wasn't too bad, but as the winter wore on, the flies got worse. I tried a couple of times during the winter to kill them, but I just couldn't seem to get them all.  If you bumped them, a white cloud would be generated (OK that is an exaggeration) but they were all over the windows, and window sills.  After spraying some pesticides, on the them, I thought I had them all, but about a week later they were back.  After some discussion, Kris finally gave in and gave me the go ahead to finally toss them out.  With any luck we will be able to find the same colors for this coming summer.

0 comments: