Sunday, January 28, 2018

Brewers On Deck


What do you do on a cold, January, Sunday afternoon when the Packers aren’t playing? Why you go to Brewers On Deck of course. This was the first time we had gone to the event and didn’t have any idea of what to expect. Well, my evaluation is mixed.

First was parking. Easy enough, I parked in my usual ramp across the street from the MECCA (yes, I still call it the MECCA) with the intent of taking the skywalk over to the venue. But when we got there, the line to get in was backed up so far that it had gone up thru the skyway, and then snaked back around the escalators to go up to the floor that the hall was on for things. After waiting in line for at least 30 minutes, it seemed as if we were in the wrong line to get in, and that we should have been able to go in thru a different line. That was a big problem, no signage saying this way, or line starts here. Something that would have told us we were in the right spot. So by the time we actually got in, neither Kris, nor I, was in too good of a mood.


Once there, it was sort of hard to figure out where to go. There were a lot of things that players were doing with fans. And when I say fans, I mean, kids. That is one thing that I liked was that the players were really interacting well with the kids who had come there to see them. I know when I was 10 or 11, I would have been head over heels if I have been able to play a game with Robin Yount! After we got our bearings, we went over to the “game show” area to watch Brewers Family Feud.

What an ordeal that was. It seemed as if there were not enough seats, and Kris didn’t want to go up into the bleachers to sit, unfortunately, all the floor seating was taken up. After the game was done we went to look for something to eat for lunch. This is complaint number 2, or maybe number 3 if you count complaining about the seating, the food. There were two spots you could get something to eat. And I think it was either hot dogs or brats. While walking around we found a station where you could get a 4.5” Cousins Sub, a bag of chips, and a bottle of water (or soda) for something like $15. WOW! Talk about price gouging! We paid for one, but I didn’t like it. And I did it grumbling all the way. I don’t blame the food vendors too much, they need to eat too. But really, $15??? The only difference is that I am trapped there forced to eat your food, otherwise I can get the same thing at a regular Cousins for less than $10.

After eating we made our way back to the game show area for a dance game show. This time we were able to get some floor seats (chairs with actual backs). At the end of it all, we managed to get some free vouchers for games. I thought it was a pretty good deal until I looked at the dates. I had to use them Wed. or Thursday after opening day and only certain sections. Oh well. Maybe Sarah and her boyfriend could use them. I think Sarah will be home for Spring Break then.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I give it maybe a 7. It was fun, but there were also some things that really made me sort of crazy. Who knows, maybe we’ll do it again next year.

0 comments: