Friday, January 11, 2019

CNA Exam

Last summer Sarah completed a CAN course thru the Waukesha Area Technical College.  However, due to changes in testing, and other program issues she didn’t take her final licensing exam at that time.  The program director sent her information on taking her test a few weeks later, but by then her semester at UWL had started and she didn’t want to take time off from her regular classes to study for her CNA test and just planned on going to take it once her semester was over.  She was able to do it at WCTC while she was home over Christmas break.  

Well that day was today.  She had been studying for it for the past week or so.  I don’t know how heavily, but I know she was.  When she graduated from the program, I think she had somewhere in the neighborhood of 97% on her exams, so I thought this would be pretty easy for her with just some minimal refreshers.  Not quite.  I asked her to send me a message when she was done and let me know how things went.  I got a message around lunchtime that said something to the effect of, “it could have been worse, so we’ll see how it went”.  Later when I got home Kris told me that she got a message from the school saying congratulations, so I guess that meant she passed.  She found out later that she passed by about one percentage point.  But she passed, which is the important thing.  People always used to tell me when I graduated, no one is going to ask you if you just barely passed, they just want to know if you passed, which I did.  Same for Sarah. 

Now when she goes back in the Spring, she can see about picking up a job someplace in LaCrosse as a CNA to start banking some patient contact hours.  She has a roommate who works as one at a nursing home, so maybe she can see about getting a part time job there.  That would help with some extra spending money and get her some patient hours.  Congratulations Sarah!  You’re halfway there!

0 comments: