Sunday, January 13, 2019

Winter Cleaning

Today was winter cleaning day.  That’s sort of like spring cleaning day, except in the winter.  I have needed to get at cleaning the basement for at least six months, ever since we moved things down there during the kitchen demolition.  Then during the stages of the remodel, things just got stacked on top of bins, and other things moved around, and nothing was ever cleaned up because I didn’t want to take the time.  Today it was finally time. 

I had actually started trying to clean off my workbench a couple of weeks earlier, but now it was really time to dig into it and start throwing things away. It took a total of about 10 hours, but at least I can walk around now without tripping over boxes, or bins, or stepping on screws.  I threw our two large, yard trash bags of things that were no longer needed (items from bins that I don’t know why I was saving, scrap wood that came from the remodeling of the kitchen, etc.).  It was a long stressful day of climbing around and cutting up my fingers digging thru things, but I am done for the time being.  I think Kris and I will still need to do some more rearranging since we still have some to store a couple of bins and boxes of Christmas items.  I have a door down there too that I bought years ago to replace the one in the front entry for the closet.  If I can get a free couple of days/weekend, I’d like to rip the old one out, finish putting vinyl floor and new baseboards in the closet, and put the new door up.  But that means having a whole weekend to work on it.  And I would need to get the door and frame sanded and stained first, which would take at least another whole weekend.  I would also eventually like to do some remodeling in the basement and get rid of the folding table where everything is stored right now.  But for now, being able to move around and get at the things I need to get at is a win in my book.

0 comments: