Monday, December 22, 2008

Blood Bank

Sarah was feeling better and school wasn't canceled today even though the temps were still in the single digits and below zero wind chills. I am waiting for people to start ripping the school board since the last time we had weather like this (about two years ago) they kept school open and people had fits that they had to send their kids to school. Apparently the wind chills now freeze the school rooms.

But Sarah and Alison got to leave school early today to help with a blood drive. Sarah's scout troop organized it for whatever award they are working on at the moment (I don't recall exactly which one it is). but things went pretty good. About 80% of the people who registered actually showed up, but apparently not everyone was able to give blood. They ahd lots of requirements relating to various diseases and asked lots of questions regarding stuff like visiting the Caribbean in the last 12 months (apparently making you a risk for having been exposed to malaria). But I think they still did pretty good.

I actually donated a pint myself. I was all set to donate platelets as well but apparently my hemoglobin level wasn't high enough. The guy seemed bummed out when I told him my blood type was O+. Maybe next time. I think I'm going to schedule myself to donate blood again in the spring. I have to wait until at least 2/16, so maybe the early March time frame will work.

0 comments: