Sunday, October 17, 2010

End Of An Era

After finishing the yardwork of cleaning up leaves and cutting down hostas, I decided to turn my attention to a project I should have taken care of this past summer... Taking down the girls’ sandbox. They haven’t played in it in almost two years so it is just taking up space. And really, I wouldn’t expect Sarah to be playing in it at her age anyway. So I shoveled out some of the sand and took it over to Kris’s folks’ house to fill up some old cans of paint. The rest got spread out on the ground and will be covered up in the spring when I try to enlarge the patio area next to the garage.

It is something I should have done a year ago, but it makes me sort of sad doing it. It’s like closing the book on the girls’ childhood. They aren’t little girls anymore. The next thing will be taking down the playground.

It came apart very hard. When I put it together I used deck screws instead of nails, and the screw heads had become so corroded that a couple of them broke when I tried to take them out. I finally got everything dismantled and it’s all ready to be tossed out. The good thing is that there won’t be a place for the mice to congregate over the winter this year.

0 comments: