Sunday, March 27, 2011

Furance Trouble

Ever since I had replaced the thermostat back at the end of December, we have been having periodic furnace trouble. I initially thought the problem was with the thermostat, which is why I replaced it t0 begin with. But several times over the last three months we have awakened to the temperature in the house being in the neighborhood of 60°-62°. BRRRRR!

Usually we have been able to get the furnace up and running again after about 5 minutes of playing with the fan switch or the temperature setting. But Sunday when we got up, Kris told me the furnace wasn't working again. She could tell as soon as she got out of bed. It was 63° in our bedroom, and the temperature on the thermostat read 59°. All the playing around with the switches was not getting it to kick in. I thought I was going to have to call a serviceman to come out on a Sunday (not cheap), but luckily after about two hours, I turned off the breaker to the furnace and let it sit for a minute or two, then turned it back on. This seemed to do the trick. I cranked the heat up to 70° and it seemed like it took two hours for the house to come back up to temp.

Kris told me that her boss had a similar problem at one time on her house and it turned out the the ignition on the furnace had blown/worn out. So they ended up having to replace the entire furnace. And since you couldn't replace JUST the furnace the A/C needed to get replaced as well. That is not a cheap proposition. I just hope that isn't what the problem is here. Hopefully we can make it through the remainder of the winter and then once it gets warm enough in a month or so when we don't need the furnace on, I can get someone out here to take a look on it.

0 comments: