Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Death Wish

It is time to admit that I have some sort of death wish.  Why you may ask?  Well it is because as of about 9:00 yesterday morning, Sarah has a license to operate a 6000 lb. chunk of steel. 


(excuse the crummy photo, all I had was my cell phone, it was bright, and only about 3 degrees outside so my hand was a little shaky)

That means that I will have to start having her drive on a regular basis to try and get a little experience behind the wheel, which also means a lot more grey hair and taking my life in my hands when I take her out on the road. 

She has a tendency to want to stay as far to the right as she can, so we end up driving half in the parking lane from time to time.  I haven't taken her into any real traffic yet, and it is a good thing too.  Going straight isn't that difficult for her, her big problems seem to be in turning.  When the road bends, we end up (in my opinion) going to fast into the turn, especially when there is snow on the road (since we are all out of salt).  Then, when she needs to turn, either from a driveway out onto the road, or making a 90° turn at an intersection, we come to almost a complete stop and then go through the turn at about 3 mph.  Tonight, we almost clipped an orange plastic post where there was some construction (from a broken water main) because Sarah wasn't turning the wheel back fast enough.  If it gets nice out this weekend, maybe I'll go and try to find someplace she can practice out of traffic.  Either way, it is going to be a long next six months.

0 comments: