Saturday, February 25, 2017

Just Missed

As I said last week, I have no clue what constitutes a good routine vs. a bad one anymore.  Today at the State finals, I thought the girls put on an awesome routine.  There were a couple of slip ups, but overall their performance was much better than last week’s regional final.  There were a couple of teams in their class that I thought were clearly better, but I thought we’d be hearing Menomonee Falls announced on the winners stage. 

Imagine my shock this week, when they didn’t get announced.  In fact, afterward, we found out that the judging had them with a worse score than their regional result even after having a better performance.  This is sort of one of the reasons I prefer sports that have a hard score and are not left up to judging.  Races… there is a clear winner and loser.  Teams sports… One teams score more points that the other resulting in a clear winner.  Sports that require “judging” will depend on who is doing the judging.  Maybe someone puts more emphasis on jumps (like in the regionals) and one might put more emphasis on the dance portion of the routine, or the tumbling aspects. Then again, what do I know?

There were only two teams we didn’t see perform, and of the ones we saw, we thought our girls would end up in third place, and if we got lucky, maybe second.  They ended up in 4th place, something like 1.5 or 2 points out of third.  And the team that got third was one we didn’t see (and just happened to be Sussex Hamilton).  I can’t get too crazy because I didn’t see their routine, but people we were speaking to that did told us it wasn’t all that great.  That was definitely as bitter pill to swallow, but I guess they should just count themselves as lucky for even making it as they may have been the beneficiaries of some generous judging to even make it to State. 


Congratulations on a great season girls!  Go Falls!

0 comments: