Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Midnight Visitor

Last night, the cat woke me up as she does many nights, licking my face, and the pillow, looking for attention. So after deciding I needed to get up and get a drink, I looked out the back window into the yard and saw something moving around in the shadows. Being curious, I waited and watched just to see what it was. I thought maybe we had a new cat in the neighborhood that was making the rounds and possibly marking its territory (I hate people that let their cats out to roam, but that’s another rant for another time). When it finally got into the light, I could see it wasn’t a cat, but looked big and furry, so I thought it must be a raccoon. Nope. As it got closer to the house, I could see it was a possum. But this thing was huge, at least as big as Samson. Is 20+ pounds big for a possum? I don’t know. 

I watched wondering if I should go and shoo it away. It got up to the brick edgers by the air conditioner, and looked to be rooting around in the grass, sniffing, and then sort of jamming its snout into the ground. Every now and then it would lift its head and it looked as if it were chewing something. So it must have been eating insects? Or maybe big, fat night crawlers. But it rambled around for a bit, probably about five minutes, and then eventually made its way around to the driveway and off to the neighbor’s yard. Ali hates possums, just because they are so ugly and nasty. So do I. I suppose that as long as they aren’t out bothering me I should just leave them be if they come around. But they still creep me out.

0 comments: