Saturday, December 16, 2017

Christmas Cookies

Kris wasn't going to make Christmas cookies this year because she found out that the girls don't actually like the ones she made every year that she thought the girls loved, the cranberry-pistachio ones.  So I was all set to not have cookies when Kris informed me that she had bought a cookie press and was going to make spritz cookies.  Apparently when she had said she wasn't making any, I said something to the effect of it wouldn't bother me as the only ones I really like are spritz cookies.  So I told her that I would help with pressing them out.  

With that being said, I didn't quite know what I was getting into.  I remember my mother always saying that making spritz cookies was a pain and now that I have helped make them, I can agree.  There was definitely a learning curve.  The first thing I learned was that the colder the dough, the better.  It pressed out into shape much easier when cold, but it was also more difficult to press out when cold, so it was sort of a challenge to find that happy medium.  Second, there was no way to tell how the dough was pressing out.  There were some that pressed out into shape, and then I had other ones that felt the same as far as pressing them out but they turned out much different.  

Overall, I think we got some good cookies, but it took quite some time.  I don't know how many I had to redo because they were stuck in the press, or were overpressed, or even underpressed.and then there were times where the dough got too warm and I had to put it back into the fridge/freezer to cool it off.  In fact, it took a total of probably about 6 or 7 hours start to finish to get everything pressed and into and out of the oven.  But we did get probably 12 or 13 dozen cookies, and plenty of lessons learned for next year.

0 comments: