Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Turned Away

With a lot of time on our hands now that I will be off until after the first of the year, Kris and I decided we would go see the new Star Wars movie.  We got a movie gift card for Christmas too, so the cost was pretty much covered.  Plus, I thought on a Tuesday afternoon, and since it has been out for more than a week now, we would have no problem just going and getting our tickets beforehand.  I thought an afternoon matinee would be perfect.  I couldn't have been more wrong.

I should note that I can't remember the last time we actually went to a theater to see a movie.  There are lots of reasons, not least among them that Hollywood has not put out any really good, blockbuster, have-to-go-see type movies in I don't know how long.  I also hate sitting in a packed theater, and the cost of a movie now is ridiculous.  So, with all that being said, we were originally going to plan on the 1:20 showing, and got to the theater about 15 minutes ahead of time.  The movie was already completely sold out, and the crowd of people there was insane.  It didn't dawn on me that kids are out of school, and many people (like me) had the day off as a holiday, AND it was $5 Tuesdays.

Since the 1:20 showing was sold out and we were already there, I thought we could just pick a different time and get our tickets for that showing.  We had an appointment at 4:00, so I thought that the 4:50 showing would be perfect.  The guy behind the counter said there were only two seats left for that showing, and they weren't together.  We decided we would just pick a different day this week and go back.

That made me realize another reason I hate movies now.  The theaters in the Falls are some sort of recliner seats and I think there may be a bistro in a couple of the theaters.  If I am going to a movie, I want to see the movie.  I am not there to sit at a table or a booth and enjoy a pizza.  If I wanted to do that I'd stay at home and be comfortable.  All I want is to be able to have the hugs screen and the thundering surround sound system.  Anything else is just an annoyance.  I am there to see the movie, not socialize.  Which leads me to the next thing.  Once I got home and looked at other times, and days we could go while we were both off I found out that in addition to purchasing our tickets online, I also had to choose my seats.  Really???!!!  So now movies are like concerts or sporting events where I am going to have an assigned seat.  What! The! Hell!??  This is why I would rather just sit at home and watch a movie on demand, or on a Blu Ray and avoid the hassle of the movie theaters altogether!  (After all that we're going on Friday).

0 comments: